Wednesday, March 26, 2008

This is what happens when Wendy gives me the blogger password

A few secrets that you probably didn't know about Abram:

1. I had a rather large comic book collection growing up
2. I have taken dance aerobics three times at BYU (currently enrolled!)
3. I waited in line for 9 hours to see the midnight showing of Star Wars III

It is this last tidbit of information that is pertinent to this post. I get really, really, excited about upcoming movies that I want to see. Probably to an unhealthy nature. So the viral marketing campaign that The Dark Night (the sequel to Batman Begins) is currently waging is right up my alley.

For those of you who haven't been glued to The Dark Night updates as much as I have, here are some of the cool things they have been doing.

The first part of their viral marketing campaign centered around the Joker. He had his own website that required people from 20+ major cities throughout the country to upload pictures of letters taken from landmarks in their cities onto his website. The result can be seen at whysoserious.com

Once everyone uploaded their pictures it revealed the first picture of the Joker. Its not a great one, but it is kind of creepy. I will admit that the viral marketing campaign was so good that when I heard that Heath Ledger (the actor who plays the Joker) had died I thought it was a part of the studios ploy. Sorry!

The second part of the viral campaign centers around Harvey Dent, one of candidates for District Attorney of Gotham. So you can print out campaign materials to "support" Harvey Dent. His website is http://www.ibelieveinharveydent.com/.

There are dozens of other websites to fuel my nerdish tendencies of browsing movie websites. If you haven't seen the trailer for the movie I would highly recommend it.

Here is a link. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/videogallery

And finally, here is a sweet poster for the movie.



Needless to say I will be in line for the midnight showing of this movie. If Wendy is there to support me remains to be seen.

And I did learn something from the 9 hour wait for Star Wars, other than the fact that nothing can compete with the original trilogy. I remember looking at the various characters in line, some dressed up rather ornately in Star Wars garb and I thought," man these guy are nerds." And then I realized, Abram, you are the second person in line, you are one of them. Needless to say, it was a very sobering moment. Never has the scripture "For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged" been more true.

No comments: