Monday, March 10, 2008

Abram's Box of Soap

I recently was made aware of an exceptionally cool talk given by Elder Ballard in which he encourages us to maintain blogs to engage others in conversation about the church . The text can be found here: http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/apostle-
urges-students-to-use-new-media

It ends up that Elder Ballard is also on Youtube. What a hip guy! Anyways, I thought this was a great suggestion. Kristen made a great post several months ago about a lot of the misinformation that occurs regarding the church. I think new media can be an excellent way to dispel much of that negative attention.

In any case, I think one of the main things that we should always remember is that as members of the church we are always going to be viewed as an example, whether for good or bad. This is definitely evident in the unfortunate incident that happened in Colorado (http://www.denverpost.com/mobile/ci_8513727).

I can't stand the Yankees, but Joe DiMaggio's words on why he played so hard every day have stuck with me. He said "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best." If we can apply that to how we live (and blog) everyday as a member of the church we will always be safe.

I will now get off of my soap box.

3 comments:

Lauryn Dawes said...

great post! We miss you guys! I added you a while ago to our blog... derekandlauryn.blogspot.com So are you guys leaving Utah anytime soon? Maybe heading for N. Carolina? You'll have to bring Sam by the office, I'm sure he's grown so much. Anyway... we hope to see you guys again before we leave!

Wendy said...

I like you up on your soap box. Can you get back up there?

Hi Lauryn! I'm excited to check out your blog. We are leaving at the end of April. Hopefully we'll see you soon!

Jennifer B. said...

Good points, all.